[BlindRUG] R Questions

Henrik Bengtsson henrik.bengtsson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 02:04:12 UTC 2021

Regarding:

> 1. On windows, the default global R profile is part of the installation. Each time I update R, the profile is in the wrong place and needs moving. I did do that occasionally but that was years ago now.

So, you must have ended up editing the "site-wide" Rprofile one, that
comes with the R Windows installation, e.g.
C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-40~1.4/etc/Rprofile.site.  A good rule of thumb is to
never edit or add anything to the folder where R itself is installed.
I never had to do that during the two decades I've use R.

A better option is to use a folder-specific or a user-specific
.Rprofile file.  Those ones will survive R upgrades since they live
under you home folder.  When R starts, it looks for a .Rprofile file
in the following order: If .Rprofile exists in the current folder
where R is started, then that is sourced during the R startup process.
If that doesn't exist, then it looks for .Rprofile in your home
folder.   The latter is by far most commonly used one by people. BTW,
the format of this file must be a valid R script with a trailing
newline.  If you forget the newline at the end, R will silently ignore
the file (which is such an annoying misfeature).

One MS Windows, it is a bit confusing what R considers to be your home
folder.  It is not C:\Users\alice\ as one would expect.  Instead, it
is C:\Users\alice\Documents\.  That is vhere you want to put your
.Rprofile file in order for R to source it every time you start R
regardless from where you start R and regardless which version of R
you start.  The easiest way to find the exact location is to do the
following from within R:

> normalizePath("~/.Rprofile")
[1] "C:\\Users\\alice\\Documents\\.Rprofile"

That is the file you want to create.  I have such a file on my machine
and I had it there for many years.  I use it for different things,
e.g. tweaking the prompt, tweaking R option warnPartialMatchArgs=TRUE
to remind me to not use partial argument names, and so on.

Hope this helps,

Henrik