[BlindRUG] R Questions

Niels Luithardt niels.luithardt at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 7 08:06:57 UTC 2021

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for your mails.

I think the most important step is to configure R so that you can work
with it as a blind person. Once R is properly configured for the
blind, then theoretically you can work with R like sighted people.

Many years ago I attended an R course for blind people. At that time I
was taught two things:

Work with the R terminal

Configure the file Rprofile

>From today's point of view, neither seems to be necessary anymore.
However, I'm not that familiar with Mark Down yet. I'll have to take a
look at the current procedure. I'm sure I'll have more questions about
it.

Kind regards

Niels

> Hello Niels,
>
> I used to put the selection of my preferred CRAN mirror in the R profile.
>
> Back when I was helping make sure a set of windows machines in a computer
> lab next to my office played nicely for the students, I would do some things
> that are less necessary now that almost everyone (else) uses RStudio. That
> was before RStudio existed so there was no cloud server at position 1 on the
> list that came up for students. I hard coded which CRAN mirror our lab
> machines looked at.
>
> Before tab completion, typing the full command to choose the CRAN mirror was
> irritating enough to want it automatically set for me all the time. That
> then featured in the profile for the folder I used just for maintaining my R
> installation.
>
> Other things I did over the years lowered in importance.
> I did switch the pager to notepad, I did have to force help in HTML (now
> standard) and toyed with cosmetic things at various times
>
> Henrik's warnings seem interesting, but I can't think of situations when I
> shorten arguments. I do need to watch that I name arguments when showing
> sample code to my students though.
>
> Jonathan

>>> 3. if not using WriteR, I use rmarkdown::render() to process the file
>>> from the R terminal.