[BlindRUG] I can't go on learning R like this!

Amy Albin amyralbin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 18:00:33 UTC 2022

>From the Regression chapter of the Blind R book

There are non-graphical substitutes for the standard residuals
analysis graphs that show the presence of non-constant variance; they
are seldom taught as part of the standard introduction to regression
analysis. A formal hypothesis test for non-constant variance can be
conducted using either the Breusch-Pagan test found using the bptest()
function, the Goldfeld-Quandt test found using the gqtest() function,
both from the lmtest package, or the Non-constant Variance test found
using the ncvTest() from the car package. These tests are simple to
use if you are comfortable with hypothesis testing, but you will need

My professor said these types of tests are bad because:

1. If the sample is large, we will find significance even if it doesn't matter.
2. If the sample is small, we may miss significance when there
actually is a problem.

I've never heard of the tests mentioned above, but would the same
principles apply?

Is the real answer to this question that blind people don't have as
good methods available as sighted people?