[BlindRUG] I can't go on learning R like this!

Jonathan Godfrey A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Tue Mar 8 21:30:37 UTC 2022

Hello Amy,

I'm understanding some of what you've tried, but I'm not sure about everything you're doing.

I looked at the commands from the textbook. The code style is a tad old, but it works. It does mean though that they're using some commands I don't use from one package in particular.

Your data files are tab delimited. It works but it means it is hard to read them. To get a feel for the data, you might open these files in notepad.

You successfully import the data and make the regression model as well as get its summary.
The trouble starts when you try to export that summary to a csv file. The summary is not a table (data.frame) it is a pile of output that is just plain text.
The text based examples get you to store a variety of residuals, fits, leverages etc. and put those in a data.frame and save that.

If you did store the calculated values and put them in a csv, you'd be able to look at them (if you really wanted to) in a spreadsheet.

The summary is just plain text that you would read with your screen reader. It doesn't get any better unless you do some extra manipulation.

The text was written before the tools that are offering the best access. There is a package that collects the residuals, fits, leverages, and a whole bunch of other things in a much better way than what you are starting from.

Install the broom package and then try the following three commands:

Library(broom)
MyOutcome=augment(MyModel)
Write.csv(MyOutcome, file="results.csv")

Where you have to name the model you want to process. This is not the summary though.

You successfully use the anova() command once you realise that you can't put an ampersand in your command. It looks like you're pondering the qabsence of a p value, but I see it in the anova() at the right of the line starting with a 2. This is because the p value is for the second model, compared to the first of the models specified in your command.

I don't know the command covratio() but it seems to have worked.

It then looks like the errors that follow from then are compounding. One thing goes wrong and it means that other things afterwards can't work.

I think you'd be much better off if you switch from the interactive mode you're using to R markdown. News is coming on this front quite soon. I'm doing a bit of work on my editor so that it can be shared with Windows users in a more immediately available fashion.

Jonathan