[BlindRUG] Flowcharts

Jonathan Godfrey A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Sat Dec 9 07:12:53 UTC 2023

Hello Khalid,

One of your questions relates to analysing data, so might be about using R to create figures.

If you make use of Quarto as against R markdown, you will have smoother access to the mermaid flow chart approach. The Quarto help pages  show this quite simply.

All figures in Quarto and R markdown documents can have an alt tag. I think though that you would need to use mermaid via the diagrammer package as mentioned by Marcus to get an alt tag for a flow chart. I use the mermaid code as my alt tag until I need it, but my flowcharts are seldom above basic level.

I'm not sure why you want a pdf which cannot be accessible. You might want one for the final version you submit, but in the meantime working in a more accessible HTML format seems sensible to me. This is why many of us use R markdown.

Even if you could build a flow chart in MS Word, and TBH, I didn't' think this was possible for a blind person to achieve independently, I doubt the conversion to pdf is going to leave you with an accessible outcome.

The use of markdown to complete your report instead of using MS Word is a decision that will not be impacted by the underlying software you are writing about.

I doubt you will get the advice you need if you choose to write your report in MS Word via this list. I'm afraid though that I don't know who you should be asking.

You can send your Quarto or R markdown document to an MS Word formatted output file if you really want one.

HTH,
Jonathan