[BlindRUG] BrailleR goes to v1 after ten years

Jonathan Godfrey A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Wed Jul 12 08:31:34 UTC 2023

Hello all,

I decided that it is high time the BrailleR version number got out of development mode.

Version 1.0.2 now appears on CRAN. I'll be advancing the GitHub version number next.

This does not mean the work is done. It just means the main purpose of the package is being met. It's been a long time coming.

There are still a number of experimental things in the package, and lots I still want done better, but I really wanted the latest work on text descriptions of ggplot graphics to be in the hands of users without having to fetch the GitHub version.

>From what I can see, there are 392 downloads per month for BrailleR. I don't know what that means really in terms of how many blind users that translates to.

I've had help from 10 contributors via GitHub< and others who worked on bits and pieces the old-fashioned way. I know I've received guidance from some icons of the R community, often by way of email, and changes to their own work.

I'm now playing with a more screen reader front end and making sure it gets to users in a simple process. This is testing my Python skills, my patience, and (fairly often) the ability of ChatGPT.

Jonathan