[BlindRUG] Collaborating with Stata users

Jonathan Godfrey A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Tue Nov 21 06:43:01 UTC 2023

Hello Divya,

I think you have to weigh up how much work you do to stay using a different tool to your workmates versus the work required for you to adapt.

Stata is command based albeit that the code is quite different to the R code you're familiar with. The code can be put into script files (DO files to use Stata terminology) and the output can be pushed into text files.

Some possibilities:

  *   You could run short blocks of Stata code within an R markdown file
  *   You could use an LLM tool to convert your R code into the Stata equivalent.
  *   You could investigate options of getting Stata output in something other than plain text, perhaps HTML.

I had an interaction with a blind Stata user earlier this year. I asked if they were happy to use it or wanted to move to using R. I believe they stayed put.

HTH,
Jonathan