[BlindRUG] Interpreting QQ Plot nonvisually or alternative approaches

Jonathan Godfrey A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Sun Nov 26 22:56:13 UTC 2023

Hello Miso,

I get asked this question a lot; far too often to be honest.

You mentioned residuals, so I am assuming your question relates to fitting linear models (of any kind) using the `lm()` function.

There are four assumptions for the linear model, least important of which is the normality of residuals. It is however the easiest one for sighted people to assess courtesy of the normal quantile plot.

A lack of normality is often a symptom that another assumption is also questionable.

Not having the correct model, constant variance, and independence of residuals all have greater impact than the lack of normality.

You can investigate most assumptions by way of fitting alternative models or making use of various hypothesis tests (variance and independence), not to forget the tests for normality. Many of these are used in the `UniDesc()` function in the BrailleR package.

Jonathan