[BlindRUG] Trouble accessing output

Robin Williams Robin.Williams at atass-sports.co.uk
Fri Sep 15 14:42:22 UTC 2023

Thank you for these useful settings, JooYoung, and for  your continuing work to improve the accessibility of VSCode.
As it stands, it seems that the cursor is placed at the start of the code that is sent to the terminal. My preference would usually be for the cursor to be placed at the bottom, from where I would scroll up. This is because I typically send a block of code to R, and I would then like to immediately inspect the output. Of course I can just press ctrl+end to jump to the end of the accessible buffer, it’s just one extra keystroke.
My main issue with working with R in VSCode at present are the difficulties in working directly at the console. In Emacs, I can easily move back through my command history, edit a previous command and execute the modified command. As far as I can tell, at the moment one can not easily edit previous commands in the terminal, you can switch to the accessible buffer which shows the code on the current line, but that’s quite cumbersome and you don’t have any feedback when deleting characters in the terminal window, for example. My understanding is that a lot of the accessibility work has (understandably) been directed towards more standard terminal interfaces, such as Windows Power Shell and the standard Windows command line. If you have any advice regarding interacting with R at the console, I would be very glad to hear it.

In general I am excited about using R in VSCode, and I hope to move to this IDE permanently in the future.

All the best,
Robin