[BlindRUG] web interfaces for interactively using R

Jonathan Godfrey A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Sun Sep 17 22:17:12 UTC 2023

Hello all,

During my time at the R Project Sprint and its aftermath (I stayed in the UK for two weeks in total), I engaged with two different projects aiming to provide an interactive R experience.

The first, and by far more thoroughly developed is the webR project. This aims to use external resources to run R. It will have uses for people who do not have the capacity to run R on their own machines. Students using Chrome Books or I Pads was the first disadvantaged group I thought of for this project. I am led to believe though, that there is scope for this project to use local resources meaning it could provide a web interface to the R installation on your own machine. If this is possible, it may provide a happier experience for screen reader users than the GUI or terminal modes.

The second project (still in its infancy) is built on the idea that people want an interface and do not have the stability of internet connectivity needed for the first idea (among others). This initiative is explicitly tied to the local installation. I like this one more for having a good chance of supporting blind and low-vision users.

Both initiatives have an inter face that is considerably simpler than the RStudio IDE. They do both need some attention to make the webpage a more comfortable experience for screen reader users though. I have provided both initiatives with a range of ideas that should be fairly easily implemented, and some stickier ones too. I'll reach out again when either project wants more feedback.

Jonathan