[Blindtlk] FW: It is official - WCAG 2.0

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 03:13:17 UTC 2008

Web standards nerds might remember the objections of Joe Clark and others.
Here's a good place to get started if you want to get into it:

http://joeclark.org/access/webaccess/WCAG/

Apparently, these guys made a big enough stink in 2006 and 2007 that WCAG 2
is apparently not half bad, at least not anymore.  It'll probably be a few
days before the so-called "standardistas" have time to react to this thing
in its final form, but I'll reserve judgment positive or negative until
people who know a lot more about it than I do have the chance to vet the
new standards.

One major difference described between WCAG 1 an 2 is that WCAG 1 said that
anything not a W3C standard was bad.  In the days of static pages, basic
HTML user interfaces, and dialup modems, that was fine.  Apparently, the
WCAG 2 focuses far more on the idea that a thing that is inaccessible is
bad.  Modern website accessibility is way more complex now than just
putting alt tags on images, as we all know far too well.

I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

Joseph