[Blindtlk] HR 3101: How would it impact us who are blind or visually-impaired?

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 21:41:47 UTC 2009

Eric,

I know the NFB has argued for emergency warnings to be read aloud.
We're also interested in seeing the devices used by the digital
television shift not exclude us either.  There's a lot of other
things in the bill that affect others with disabilities too.

For me the question is of unintended consequences and expenditures
the country cannot afford.  Congress has been very good lately at
passing legislation without reading it, let alone assessing whether
or not the costs outweigh the benefits.  More importantly, I no
longer trust Congress not to slip something onerous into a bill like
this that seems innocuous based on the fact that nobody in their
right mind would vote against disabled people!

It's not that I don't trust the weasels running our country..  Wait,
yes, it is.  I don't trust them.  I want lots of people looking at
these things--people who aren't quick to sign on to something because
it sounds like it's probably good--before I support any piece of
legislation at this point.

Joseph

--
How many children in America are not taught how to read?
If they are blind, the answer is 90%.