[Blindtlk] drug testing

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sat Jul 25 15:47:19 UTC 2009

I work in the Criminal Justice field.  Specifically I work with first time, juvenile offenders.  I am thinking of implementing drug testing with the youths that have drug/alcohol related offenses.   If I do this it would most likely be a few months to a year before I could convince management that this is a good idea.  So I have some time to figure all this out.

>From what I understand from other professionals that use drug testing, it is done in a regular office building/public restroom  setting where they work and not a laboratory.    The youth has to be observed while they are urinating into the cup to ensure that they do not cheat.  I am not very knowledgeable about all the ways to mess up a drug test, so I'm not clear on what exactly I would need to be monitoring.  Of course I would need to enlist the assistance of a male in the building to observe the young men that would need to complete a test.

I have a CCTV and I'm hoping to get sample test from different companies to see if I can read the test using the CCTV. As I understand it there are 5 test strips that will show one or two lines to indicate a positive or negative result for each type of drug.

I would really appreciate anyone who has any experience administering urine drug testing sharing which tests are easiest to read, how to monitor the actual sample collection and anything else that I need to know.

I do also have the option of sending the youth to the medical clinic for testing, but cost is a serious factor.  The type of test I could administer at my office location cost about $5 and the clinic variety would cost around $100.   Accuracy of the test isn't the difference.  You are paying the higher price strictly because of the test being done at a medical facility.

Ideas?
Thanks much!
Julie