[Blindtlk] Guide Dog then Came

Jeffrey Schwartz sidney.schwartz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 2 11:41:56 UTC 2009

I procrastinated applying for a successor dog despite a kind word or two
from Fidelco that it might be time.  My dog was only ten and was full of
energy, no signs of ageing   He died suddenly when a tumor which had been
growing on his hind leg caused the bone to fracture.  I was back to the
white cane after almost twenty years.  I had maintained my cane skills by
using it rather than a dog on short trips, going out to dinner with my wife,
etc.  I waited for over a year for my current guide and it was a bit
harrowing.  I often felt tense while walking, even if I was familiar with
the terrain.  I had a couple of nasty falls, down a flight of concrete steps
on one occasion, and walking into things .  I would encourage anyone with an
older dog to get their name on the waiting list if the school permits this.