[Blindtlk] Other "wrong" assumptions;Learning body language

Kathleen Millhoff kmillhoff at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 01:03:04 UTC 2009

I learned something about body language from my numerous siblings who
were unsparing in their critiques of me; often people would tell me,
"quit frowning" which was usually when i was concentrating or thinking
or just doing nothing; i got kind of compulsive about it; then, my
curious nature led me to query my mom about things like shoulder
shrugs and the like; here in the islands, people use eyebrow raises to
convey lots - and i think after these many years i'm still learning of
the many ways it happens. anyway, i still talk to people about
gestures and behaviors, and i think that blind people should just ask
someone they trust about things; i've heard us (yes, the generic "us"
meaning each and everyone of us), described as wooden, expressionless,
stiff, and more.  i just ignore those things, believing that somehow,
rightly or wrongly, people who judge by visual impression are shallow
and uninformed.  Having said this, I know that people really _Do judge
by visual image, and I just hope that people can learn what they want
to about body language but not stress too much over it.
best,
kat

--
kathy millhoff - "Let each morn be better than its eve, and each
morrow richer than its yesterday."