[Blindtlk] Oregon votes to close school for the blind

trishs slosser at metrocast.net
Sat Jun 13 05:08:16 UTC 2009

The powers that be, will get it, not if but when, blindness
effects them directly, be it themselves or a loved one.  What's
the statistic with Diabetes alone being prevalent in this
society, let alone the countless other causes?

blind

>Dear Steve,

>I know one thing,the Public school systems are not getting the
job done
>either.
>I have seen I.E.P.s where the schools did everything and used
every excuse
>to avoid teaching Braille to a student.
>I have seen children with certain eye conditions, that medically
you know
>that they are going to lose more vision, too the point of having
no usable
>vision in their adulthood, and they are still denied Braille.
>We can see the train of vision loss coming down the tracks and
the schools
>do nothing.  Any child who has RP for example, should be learning
Braille,
>no matter how much vision they have in elementary school  We
know that they
>are not going to have that same amount of vision when they get
older.
>Why do we not prepare our kids for their whole life and not just
the moment.
>I have seen the parent's in denial and with the best of hopes on
their lips
>that their child's vision will not get worst.
>I understand denial as I hid from my blindness for many years and
it was not
>until I got involved in the NFB that I pulled my head out of the
sand.
>I fooled many people for many years about the full extent of my
vision loss,
>but the one I fooled the most was myself.  I was afraid of what
other people
>would think, how they might react and treat me and I was ashamed
of being
>Blind as if I had done something terrible.
>The person that got hurt the most was me.  The denial held me
back from
>doing the things that would have helped me the most.
>The residential schools still have a place in our world and it is
some
>place that allot of blind students still need to help them.
>I know that many states offer a "summer school" program for
students, where
>they can come for a few weeks and sharpen skills and learn new
things with
>other Blind students.  This is conducted at many Blind schools
and camps
>around the country.  The NFB youth Slam and Rocket On programs
are just a
>couple of these condensed programs.
>I just know that there is dirty work afoot in Oregon and as
someone who was
>misunderstood once said to the authorities in power, "Forgive
them Father
>for they know not what they do."

>David Evans, NFBF

Braille as
>>> well as print , if they had any vision at all and something like
84% of
>>> all
>>> blind students were literate in Braille, print or both.
>>> After WW-2, children were mainstreamed into the Public schools,
mostly
>>> because some people felt that they would have better social
skills and
>>> because more parents wanted to keep their children closer to
home instead
>>> of
>>> sending them off to a remote school some where.
>>> There are always some blind children who have the need to attend
>>> residential school instead of getting what they can from the
Public
> [...]
tremendously.
>>> Today
>>> Braille literacy is only 8 to 9% and general literacy is not as
high as
>>> it
>>> was, even with the increase in the numbers of blind children
alive today.
>>> Along with mainstreaming, into the Public schools, real
education
>>> declined
>>> sharply and so has employment for the Blind.  Employment has
always been
>>> difficult at best for the Blind, but the lack of teachers who
could teach
>>> Braille and understood how to work with blind students has been
>>> systematically eliminated and discouraged in the Public schools
and in
>>> many
>>> of the rehab agencies because the people in charge held low
expectations
>>> of
>>> the blind and had the attitude," they are blind and can't do
anything
>>> anyway
>>> so why bother teaching them."
>>> Public school districts generally lump all of their "special
needs"
>>> students
>>> together with an overworked and underserved teacher who is given
poor or
>>> no
>>> resources to provide the specialized training that is needed for
their
>>> students who have a wide variety of disabilities and the ones
that act up
>>> and are the most disrupted usually get most of their attention.
>>> The teaching of Braille has been discouraged by every fantasy
imaginable.
>>> I was fed the same old lines myself, for years, that Braille was
"old
>>> fashion," "bulky and hard to learn and that all the new
technologies were
>>> going to replace it.  I bought into this idea until I was
exposed to the
>>> outstanding examples I found in the NFB.  It changed my belief
and
>>> attitudes
>>> and at the age of 49, I taught myself Braille with the help of
the Hadley
>>> School for the Blind.  I learned and was using Grade One Braille
for all
>>> my
>>> personal written communication in just 3 weeks and learned how
to use a
>>> slate and stylist, which I carry everywhere with me now.  "
>>> I make good use of technology, but I have also learned that as
long as
>>> the
>>> sighted still use paper and pen to write things down and carry
them  with
>>> them; there will be a place for Braille in the hands of the
Blind.
>>> It is a well known axiom among the Blind that 96% of all working
Blind
>>> People know and use Braille in their work and their lives.
>>> Something else that the residential schools did was they taught
>>> employable
>>> skills to the Blind, i,e, chair caning, piano tuning, sewing,
weaving,and
>>> other such manual skills that the Blind could always sell as
personal
>>> services.
>>> The Blind of China invented the first trade unions back 2,000
years
>>> before
>>> the birth of Christ to set prices, standards and to regulate
Blind trades
>>> that included basket weaving, pottery, massage and even
prostitution,
>>> which
>>> were considered common Blind trades back then.
>>> The parents of Blind children have had to fight alone with the
Public
>>> schools systems to get them to provide the education and help
that their
>>> children need and have to keep fighting the entire time their
child is in
>>> school for what the Law says is their Right to a Free and Equal
Education
>>> that evidence shows they are not getting in Public school.
>>> They use excuses such as "well, the child has too much vision to
be
>>> taught
>>> Braille, inspire of the fact that maybe the child has RP and
will lose
>>> their
>>> ability to read or even see print as a young adult, as happened
to me.

>>> As a former resident of Roseburg Oregon, now living in Florida,
I can say
>>> that the legislature of the State of Oregon does not care about
the lives
>>> of
>>> Blind children and likely has political motives behind their
vote to
>>> close
>>> the Oregon School for the Blind.
>>> They have wanted that land for some time and de-funding the
school is the
>>> way they intend to kill it and steal the land and the birth
right of all
>>> Blind  children in their State.  This whole thing Bothers me,
the whole
>>> situation stinks and I hope the smell comes back to haunt each
and every
>>> one
>>> of these legislators who voted to close this school.
>>> Shame on them and a pox on their House for doing this
unnecessary and
>>> despicable act of murdering the School for the Blind of Oregon.

>>> David Evans, NFBF
>>> Nuclear/Aerospace Materials Engineer
>>> Builder  of the Lunar Rovers and the IF-117 Stealth Fighter
>>> Legally blind since age 16 due to RP.
>>> Without a good education they doom blind children to a life of
idealness
>>> and
>>> little potential.
>>> Lucky for me, I got a good education and have done many things
people
>>> thought impossible.

Blind had a

Democrats,