[Blindtlk] Observation: Please stop unnecessary threads

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Jun 20 14:58:37 UTC 2009

All:

Having helped Dave for many years with list administration, I think the
following is a fair approximation of the truth:

(1) There will be threads that some of us consider irrelevant while
others consider them worth discussion. Put another way: one person's
necessity is another's frivolity. What any of the rest of us thinks is
unlikely to change the mind of the person who starts the thread: debates
are usually only won in debate meets!

(2) It therefore follows that while comments stating one's position on
the topic are in order, gratuitous comments which say much more than
one's position or opining on the character, lineage, intent or moral
fiber of the thread initiator will do little more than irritate everyone
else including the person who started the thread. Such comments
therefore waste energy and Net bandwidth and are, therefore, best
avoided.

(3) It follows from the above that the only person who should make
decisions regarding list conduct and who should publicly comment on the
relevance of threads or carry out list discipline is either the list
moderator or the list administrator. Comments (either pro or con) which
go beyond simple, reasoned, honest discussion is, at best,
counterproductive, yielding far more heat than light and, at worst,
contributes to the problem.

Given the foregoing, I earnestly entreat *everyone* to let the thread
(including remarks about anyone who commented on it) die an unnatural
death and refrain from contributing to the problem of this or any other
thread in the future. This does not mean one shouldn't participate in
lively discussions. It does mean that we close ranks and let Dave
Andrews do his job!

Short and sweet: ENOUGH ALREADY!

Mike Freman, who used to administer a bunch of lists for Dave