[Blindtlk] Social Security for Married Couples Amendment Proposal Petition

Amanda Robertson zhuuraan at gmail.com
Thu May 28 00:25:20 UTC 2009

Hello list,

I just joined and wanted to tell you guys about a petition that I started.
Myself and many of my friends have recently discussed how unfair we feel it
is that people on SSI recieve approximately a $400 reduction in benefits
when they decide to marry, of course varying by state. Our expenses do not
decrease upon marriage and we should have the same rights that everyone else
does. There is no reason we should be penalized for marriage. I have spoken
to Social Security themselves and they have told me that if I were to get
married, assuming no other changes whatsoever, my and my husband's benefits
would drop from $1350 unmarried to $950 married. I have a couple friends
that are married and subject to this reduction and they can barely get by,
and they are even on Section 8!

So, while I acknowledge that the US government will not completely remove
the deduction of Social Security benefits from married couples, I have
started this petition proposing a reduction in the amount that they are able
to deduct solely on the grounds of marriage.

If you're married and barely getting by, wish to get married but are held
back by the reduction, have ever been in a similar situation, or just wish
to support the petition, I urge you to please sign it and pass the link
around to everyone you know who may be interested in signing. I have
included the URL below. Either press enter on it or paste it into your
address bar.

http://www.petitiononline.com/ssmcap/petition.html

I thank everyone in advance for their signatures.

If you would like to contact me, this address is not my primary address and
I do not check it daily. However, to get a response from me more quickly,
you may send email to my primary address, zhuuraan84 at yahoo.com, which I do
check every day, usually multiple times per day.

Thanks all!