[Blindtlk] accessible phone services

Justin Ekis jekis at fastmail.us
Thu May 28 05:29:24 UTC 2009

Tom,

I just found out about the LG VX9100 also known as the enV2 for Verizon. LG
makes several phones with a few accessibility features built in. They
provide varying  amounts of accessibility to the menus and caller ID
information. The thing about the enV2  is that it goes to the next level by
reading out incoming text messages as well as confirming what you type into
a message. It also gives you more feedback than previous phones for adding
contacts to the phone book. To me, this finishes the job. It's all a
provider should have to do. Phone calls, text messages and the phonebook are
the essential functions that only a phone can do well. I don't really care
if the web browser, calendar, etc. are accessible. There are better devices
for those jobs anyway.

Now rumor has it that the vx9200 or enV3 will  be released this Friday. I
have no clue if accessibility will be improved or not, all I'm reading about
so far are things like a nicer camera. I'm waiting to see what happens, but
if there isn't anything worth upgrading at least it should drive the price
of the older enV2 down some. You may not be able to get the older one much
longer, but I sure don't expect the new model to take any steps back. Lg has
been great about this stuff.

Hope this helps.

Justin