[Blindtlk] "Mike-ing History"

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Nov 8 01:37:25 UTC 2009

Hello, everyone.

I suppose this isn't strictly blindness-related except that when Robert
Irwin, Director of the American Foundation for the Blind during the
1940's, died, he gave a great collection of talking books to the
Washington State School for the Blind (WSSB). Obviously, most of these
records were 33 and a third rpm records; WSSB still has them although
not all are in great shape anymore. I said "almost" because among the
collection was a set of 78 rpm records containing dramatizations of
famous events in history designed for school kids. It was called
"Mike-ing History" and the narrator was the "Man at the Mike". Among
these were a dramatization of the Johnstown Flood and the San Francisco
Earthquake, the defeat of the Spanish Armada and the signing of the
Declaration of Independence. Hamilton's duel with Burr and the entrance
into Troy by Greek commandos in the wooden horse are also depicted.
There were others. These all were in a "You Are There" style with
newsmen narrating the events as if they were on the scene.

So far, that set of records that I remember from the 1950's when WSSB
acquired the collection hasn't resurfaced. I've been trying to find that
set of records. So far, all I've turned up on the Net was an article
(which I had to pay for, alas) from a teachers' journal out of Columbia
University published in 1947 which referred to the series. I've also
seen a couple of digital catalogues which showed some of these shows.
But nowhere have I seen the complete collection in a form I could beg,
borrow, buy or steal.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Freeman