[Blindtlk] reader pay

James jakon22 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 07:44:26 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Recently there was a msg posted about paying a reader.  I pay from $8 to $10
per hour.

I find readers faster than a scanner for things like mail and short docs,
too.

For books, a scanner is nice, but the shorter docs go much faster with a
reader.

As far as using volunteers, I prefer not to.  When I pay, I'm the one in
control of the relationship and we both know it.  Its worth the $10 to me
for this to happen.

Read "The Care and Feeding of Readers) from the back issue of the Braille
Monitor.  Its somewhat dated b/c scanning software has improved but has lots
of good tips nonetheless.

James K