[Blindtlk] NFB Financial Assistence?

Michelle Medina michellem86 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 03:54:43 UTC 2009

I just read an OT about the NFB working with the ACB.
In that, someone mentioned that the NFB offers financial assistance. . .

If I read that correctly, what exactly do you have to do to get
it/become a full fledged member so you can get it? How does it help
you if you are eligible for said financial assistance?

I'm asking, because I've finally re-joined the comission.
Short story, I left because they weren't helping me in the ways I
needed, & now I've re-joined hoping that things are better after
having taken a 4 year break, but it appears that they aren't.

My computer needs to be fixed. Not just "so it works", but so it's
"fixed". Since I don't currently have a job, & the comission is part
of the economic growth & labor department (& focussed on getting
people employed), my computer, because it is, right this moment, a
personal computer, doesn't qualify to be "completely fixed".
I don't understand this concept, so if anyone can shed light on it,
I'll be eternally greatful. I mean, say, that I was going to get a job
through the computer, but I don't currently have one. (Because my
computer doesn't work properly & could end up failing on me should I
decide to take a computer job. In which case, the work wouldn't get
finished, & I'd look like a slacker to my employer because I couldn't
get it done. Then when I tried to get a new job, I wouldn't be able to
use my former employer as a reference because I proved unreliable,
although it wasn't my fault). Doesn't it make sense for my computer to
be "completely" fixed as opposed to "just bearly limping along"? I'd
think that if I did get a job where a computer was involved, & my
computer is worse off then it is at this moment, then the comission
would actually have to shell out more money. So wouldn't it make more
sense to just fix the problem now?
I get SSI every month & my family is also currently in the process of
losing our home.
If I had the money to shell out, I would, because I know there are
others who need services just as much as I do, but I don't have it.

So anyway, my original question was/is: Does the NFB offer financial
assistance? If so, what can that financial assistance be used for? &
finally, if they offer it, what do I have to do in order to qualify
for it?

I apologize if this sounds angry, but the truth is, I am angry.
Boiling actually, & any help that I can receive that would relieve
some of this worrying/panicking would greatly be appreciated.
Thank you all for reading,
Michelle