[Blindtlk] FW: [nfbsc] WLTX article, some responses and our response.

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Mon Apr 12 04:06:15 UTC 2010

Original Message:
From: "NFBSC Office" <nfbsc at sc.rr.com>
To: <nfbsc at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [nfbsc] WLTX article, some responses and our response.
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 2010 18:22:44 -0400

Local Center for the Blind Faces Financial Troubles
 Michael Benning    Created:  4/9/2010 3:52:55 PM  Updated: 4/9/2010
5:19:10 PM

Columbia, SC (WLTX) - A local non-profit for the blind is fighting to
keep the lights on as funding runs dry.

"Until I started coming to the Federation Center I never understood there
was no shame in being blind," said Vicki Black.

Finding your way in a busy world isn't always easy. Sometimes having a
friend get you there can make all the difference.

Vicki Black was born blind, but it's at the Federation Center of the
Blind where she found greater self-worth. Now she's using the skills she's
picked up to train her peers on the computer.

When we stopped by Friday, she was working with a man named Edward
Hackett. Hackett went completely blind just 15 years ago.

"Having sight and not having sight is a big deal. It takes a lot of
support to get through that," said Hackett.

It's what the Federation Center for the Blind is all about. The center is
a place where the blind help the blind in a number of ways.

"We try to identify them, get them involved with other blind people, give
them training education or referrals and things like that for other
services."

David Houck is the centers only full-time employee. For all the good
going on, there's a cloud of fear hanging over him.

"Our financial situation is a week to week month to month thing," said
Houck.

The center lost its main funding source, and it's forcing Houck to dip
into his own wallet to pay basic bills. Recently, he's had to pay part of
the buildings phone/internet bill.

"We're being very frugal. We've done a number of cost saving measures,
and we're probably as green as we can go," said Houck.

Now they're hoping for financial help from the community. This week the
board held an emergency meeting to discuss their options. They also went
before the city council, which is the first time they've had to ask for
money in the last 50 years.

If you have any questions you can call them at (803) 254-3777

Blog responses to article

Dapandico wrote:

A local non-profit for the blind is fighting to keep the lights on as
funding runs dry.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$okra$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Are you serious? Keep the lights on?

NOSE_IT_ALL wrote:

I've always wondered why they have that sign in front of their
building?!?!?

4/9/2010 7:14 PM EDT on wltx.com

BUSHLIDE wrote:

Why would someone think there is shame in being blind ?

4/9/2010 7:20 PM EDT on wltx.com

OUR BLOG RESPONSE by David Houck

Federation Center of the Blind needs financial aid
Posted 4/10/2010 5:29 PM EDT on wltx.com
Some have seen the article on WLTX's web page and ask why the blind need
to pay a light bill.

"Legal blindness" is described as visual acuity that is one-tenth of
normal vision.  Wearing glasses or contacts, standing 20 feet from an eye
chart,  you can only read the top line of the eye chart IN YOUR BEST EYE.
If your vision is that bad to totally blind, you are considered to be
legally blind in general.

Back to the electric bill paying...

Do blind people deserve heat in the winter and air conditioning in the
summer?

How can we print large print, electronically translated Word documents
into braille documents on an electronic interpoint Brailler, have blind
instructors teach the blind of all ages computer literacy using synthesized
speech or large print on screen, operate the internet, emails or listserves
to communicate with other blind computer users, or administrate a computer
network system or internet web page (nfbsc.net) without electricity?

How would we prepare and serve thousands of meals for the blind annually
without electricity or gas to power our kitchen?

You might surmise that our hundred or so sighted volunteers would want
electric lighting in the Center as well as those who are legally blind with
low vision and, oh yes, about the sign out front, would you figure that
sighted people driving the blind to the Federation Center might want to
know where the facility is?

As with the usual myths and misconceptions about blindness, the blind are
left to educate those who think these things are funny but as I had to
learn one month before getting my driver's license (due to a congenital eye
disease) at age 16, one week can change you whole outlook on life
completely.  So, I would like to ask you what I asked of Columbia City
Council a few days ago:  What would you do if you awoke tomorrow morning
and found that your eyesight was permanently gone?  How would you
accomplish what you do every day?  Its a tough thought, but the outcome
through education, training and association with other successful blind
people will reveal to you that you can lead a normal, productive life.

What do you think?  Don't you think the Federation Center deserves your
financial support in case you need our assistance one day.  We are the
blind changing what it means to be blind, making it respectible to be
blind.

Comments (0) | Permanent Link
Tags: