[Blindtlk] Needing Feedback and Support

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Thu Dec 9 16:02:07 UTC 2010

Diane,

For some reason I often can't read your original messages, but I could read
it at the bottom of Ray's message.  Very weird.

anyway, I agree with Ray.  If meeting with this person sounds doable for you
I'd give it a go, unless this person is your supervisor.  In that case I
think I'd have a chat with the next higher up supervisor.

Typically I try to respond to these sorts of insults as they come.  If it's
someone I'm likely to spend a lot of time with, I put in more effort.  In
the beginning I try gentle efforts at providing information in an
educational way.  I might try a bit of light humor, but never at the expense
of my blindness.   Most people get it after a few reminders, especially
those who see me going and doing things by myself with no large
difficulties.

Over the years there have been a small number of people who don't or won't
get it no matter how I  try.  Sometimes I just let the person drift out of
my life.  Sometimes it means confronting the individual in a more direct
manner.  Sometimes I just endure and try to convince myself that the person
is there to teach me patience.  *smile*

I had one college professor that I didn't think would ever quit with the
stupid comments.  I tried talking to him.  I asked my rehab counselor to
speak with him.  We had a giant meeting with him, the college
administrators, my rehab counselor, the chair of the department and probably
the maintenance man.  there were a ton of people at that meeting.  It didn't
help.  I gave up hope.  but I saw him several years after I graduated and he
apologized for his stupid comments and spoke to me as an adult.  I about
fainted.

Wow! that got long winded!  Best of luck in whatever you decide.  Know that
we will be cheering for you!
Julie