[Blindtlk] A Christmas Story & Thank you!

Mari Hunziker marihunziker at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 00:34:53 UTC 2010

Dear Friends,

I recently read a touching Holiday story as told by President Thomas S.
Monson:
{ I share this with you to thank you for showing me and my family
compassion, charity, and love. We greatly appreciate you and your kindness.
Thank you and Merry Christmas.
Enjoy the Story. :o) }

Many years ago he read of an experience at Christmas time which took place
when thousands of weary travelers were stranded in the congested Atlanta,
Georgia, airport. An ice storm had seriously delayed air travel as these
people were trying to get wherever they most wanted to be for Christmas—most
likely home.

The fact of the matter was that there were more passengers than there were
available seats on any of the planes. When an occasional plane managed to
break out, more passengers stayed behind than made it aboard. …

Gate 67 in Atlanta was a microcosm of the whole cavernous airport. Scarcely
more than a glassed-in cubicle, it was jammed with travelers hoping to fly
to New Orleans, Dallas, and points west. Except for the fortunate few
traveling in pairs, there was little conversation at gate 67. A salesman
stared absently into space as if resigned. A young mother cradled an infant
in her arms, gently rocking in a vain effort to soothe the soft whimpering.

Then there was a man in a finely-tailored gray flannel suit, who somehow
seemed impervious to the collective suffering. There was a certain
indifference about his manner. He was absorbed in paperwork: figuring the
year-end corporate profits perhaps. A nerve-frayed traveler sitting nearby
observing this busy man might have identified him as an Ebenezer Scrooge.

Suddenly the relative silence was broken by a commotion. A young man in
military uniform, no more than 19 years old, was in animated conversation
with the desk agent. The boy held a low-priority ticket. He pleaded with the
agent to help him get to New Orleans so that he could take the bus to the
obscure Louisiana village he called home.

The agent wearily told him that prospects were poor for the next 24 hours,
maybe longer. The boy grew frantic. Immediately after Christmas, his unit
was to be sent to Vietnam—where at that time war was raging—and if he didn’t
make this flight, he might never again spend Christmas at home. Even the
businessman looked up from his cryptic computations to show a guarded
interest. The agent clearly was moved, even a bit embarrassed. But he could
only offer sympathy, not hope. The boy stood at the departure desk casting
anxious looks around the crowded room, as if seeking just one friendly face.

Finally the agent announced that the flight was ready for boarding. The
travelers who had been waiting long hours heaved themselves up, gathered
their belongings, and shuffled down the small corridor to the waiting
aircraft: 20, 30, 100, until there were no more seats. The agent turned to
the frantic young soldier and shrugged.

Inexplicably, the businessman had lingered behind. Now he stepped forward.
“I have a confirmed ticket,” he quietly told the agent. “I’d like to give my
seat to this young man.” The agent stared incredulously; then he motioned to
the soldier. Unable to speak, tears streaming down his face, the boy in
olive drab shook hands with the man in the gray flannel suit, who simply
murmured, “Good luck. Have a fine Christmas. Good luck.”

As the plane door closed and the engines began their rising whine, the
businessman turned away, clutching his briefcase and trudged toward the
all-night restaurant.

No more than a few among the thousands stranded there at the Atlanta airport
witnessed the drama at gate 67. But for those who did, the sullenness, the
frustration, the hostility all dissolved into a glow. That act of love and
kindness between strangers had brought the spirit of Christmas into their
hearts.

The lights of the departing plane blinked star-like as the craft moved off
into the darkness. The infant slept silently, now in the lap of the young
mother. Perhaps another flight would be leaving before many more hours. But
those who witnessed the interchange were less impatient. The glow lingered
gently, pervasively in that small glass and plastic stable at gate 67.

Finding the real joy of the season comes not in the hurrying and the
scurrying to get more done or in the purchasing of obligatory gifts. Real
joy comes as we show the love and compassion inspired by the Savior of the
world, who said, “Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these
my brethren, ye have done it unto me” (Matt. 25:40). …

As we contemplate how we are going to spend our money to buy gifts this
holiday season let us plan also for how we will spend our time in order to
help bring the true spirit of Christmas into the lives of others!

{ Thank you for reading the story. One persons act of kindness can make all
the difference. Thank you for your love and kindness. Merry Christmas,
Love Always,
Mari Hunziker}
*
~~---~~