[Blindtlk] Fwd: Article from Minneapolis Star-TribuneScienceAnd Technology 2010 07 02

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 00:35:41 UTC 2010

Some newspapers charge a fee for access to their online articles,
though subscribers to the print newspapers usually have free access to
the online articles. Through Newsline, we have free access to articles
that most people have to pay for access to, so distributing them to
friends and groups takes money away from the newspapers who charge for
their articles.

As I said earlier, if you can find it online for free, than passing it
on to friends and gropus is fine (though it's better to put part of
the article and link back to the website), as long as you note who it
is from and link to them. But direct forwards from NFB-Newsline is
copyright infringement. You must do your research and be sure that the
article is available free online before forwardig. For example, there
was an article a few months ago that people kept talking about, about
a man whose guide dog was killed in Washington. They had read it on
Newsline. I found it on Newsline and e-mailed it to myself, then found
the post in the Seattle Times (which has online content for free).
Then, I cut and paste the article and gave a link to the page on the
Seattle Times' page. That is acceptable, because they have free
content on their website and I linked back to their page.

Just because everyone does it does not make it right. I will do some
research and find the actual guidelines/rules. But read the bottom
line of any e-mails from Newsline. That is the most obvious rule. See
my quote...that is a direct quote from the bottom of the article
forwarded. It basically says that these articles are provided as a
courtesy, and distribution is copyright infringement and thus illegal.

~Jewel