[Blindtlk] Inferiority complex with disability vsnondisabledsociety

Mari Hunziker marihunziker at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 04:43:29 UTC 2010

Gary, I haven't had the STRENGTH to respond to Peter's message. I too, have
suffered greatly. I used to receive transportation services here in my city
but a few years ago they built a Park & Ride several miles away. And because
of it I am no longer in the ADA service area. I have become a burden to
friends, family, and my husband. My kids and I are trapped in our home,
until some generous sameritan drives us to the store, the park, etc. I'm not
even able to cross the street across from my subdivision. I have contacted,
TXDOT, Travis County, and the city to have them install safe pedestrian
crossings. They have not taken any action yet. I also was on a committee to
purchase new park playground equipment for the park near my home. The board
of my HOA said it would be in by April. It is now June and they still
haven't put any playground equipment in at the park. It makes me sad,
because I do not drive, obviously since I am legally blind. I want to make a
difference in the world but sometimes feel like Peter, inferior to my
circumstances and environment. It is very frustrating. I want so hard to be
independent but where I live it is impossible to get anywhere independently.
I however, am proud of the fact that I can walk to my son's school, to the
DQ and Taco Bell and Walgreens near the school as well as a few other places
like the Post Office that are on the same side of the street that my home is
on. How do I get the local governments and other organizations willing to
make accommodations so that I may become an independent patron of the
establishments across the street from my subdivision? Oh and by the way,
cabs/taxi's are extremely expensive to call on just to get across the
street. Please help!  Please give me some advise.
Thank you,
Mari