[Blindtlk] Inferiority complexwithdisabilityvsnondisabledsociety

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 7 13:26:28 UTC 2010

Dear Duey and All,
Crossing streets is just about the scariest thing we have to do as a Blind
person.  It is hard, no matter what the size of the street and no matter
what the traffic level is.
I try to follow the path of lease resistance.  I think about my routes and
if a crossing is very busy, and there is another crossing nearby that is
less busy, that will get me across and takes me in the general direction I
want to go, I use it.
I have some crazy crossings I have to deal with on occasion.
I deal with "round-a-bouts" and a tough intersection where 5 streets come
together on Federal Highway in east Boca Raton.  There are lights, but
understanding who moves when , in what order and who can and is turning is
really tricky, but I do it.
I know the fear that every blind traveler has as I have been hit twice, in
the distant past.  Both times were from behind, were hit and run and drivers
were never caught.
Both times were when I was riding a bike, along the edge of the road and
once was when I had my daughter, age 3 and the time, in a baby seat on the
back.  I got hurt both times, but not too bad.
I did not even carry a white cane in those days and was still driving a car.

I made no mistakes but the drivers did big time and I am just lucky it was
not worst.  I still have the mirror that I snapped off the van that hit me
and my daughter 27 years ago.
I travel because I have to to live my life, which now includes teaching
travel training to use Public Transportation in the West Palm Beach area.  I
access, evaluate and recommend what forms of transit a disabled or elderly
person should use and then teach them how to use it.  This includes
Para-transit, fixed route bus and our commuter rail service Tri-Rail and
even Metro-Rail in Miami.
I have used a long White Cane for some 25 years and have just recently
switched to using a guide dog named Jack from Southeast Guide Dogs.
Jack is my first guide dog and travel with him is different than it was with
my cane.
I still use my cane some as I don't want my cane skills to get rusty.
I can still use my cane to go everywhere, but Jack does provide a bit of
grace, speed and dash that I did not have with my cane any longer.
My vision has really gone now and is no longer any help to me at all.  Jack
has filled the void as he can recognize doors, elevators, escalators, steps
and stairs, find the appliances in a restroom, and he can follow a person I
tell him too, like in a crowded restaurant.
He has some advantages and disadvantages.
He is like carrying a suitcase around with me.  I have to find a good place
to park him everywhere I go.  Some people don't like dogs and the hair they
drop and some are even afraid of them.
I have learned that I must except his limitations just as much as I had to
except the limitation of my cane and just deal with them as best as I can.
I love Jack and it is great to travel with him and always have someone to
talk to and share the fun with.
He is a real "chick magnet" as all of the pretty women just have to come
over and tell me how gorgeous he is.  I never have to seek out help anymore
and people are just drawn to us like magic.
I hope that if you are having travel difficulties that you will get some
training and try to get the best you can.  Your NFB brothers and sisters are
a great source of information and support for this.
No one should just stay at home m rust and die for lack of the ability to
travel.
Go out and show the World that we can be a part of it.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.