[Blindtlk] Fw: [Nfbf-l] Question about White Cane Law

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Thu Mar 4 14:00:40 UTC 2010

Pedestrians have the right of way in a crosswalk. Sometimes those using a white cane or dog guide have the right of way outside of one. A driver is required to show due diligence in avoiding a pedestrian, but the responsibility is not one sided. The pedestrian also has a responsibility to avoid situations which would put them in danger, e.g. walking, running or rolling in front of a car.

The thrust of the white cane law was to establish that the mere presence of a person using a cane or dog was not, in and of itself, negligent, and that blind people (and by extension others, although not stated in most laws) was not evidence of contributory negligence, and thus gave the right to be out in public.

Should this go to court, and I am not a lawyer, the question would be did either fail to exercise the caution and attention that each is required to exhibit.