[Blindtlk] Introduction from a new member

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 03:16:07 UTC 2010

Hello! My name is Jewel. I am 25 years old, and live in Raleigh, North
Carolina. I am a member of the local chapter of the NFB. I wanted to
just give a little information about myself.

I have been blind about 2 years now, due to a chemical burn to the
face that caused cataracts, cornea scarring, and glaucoma. I see
lights, shadows, and colour, and not much else. I have applied to the
Seeing Eye, Inc. and hope to attend to partner with my first guide dog
some time this year. I am waiting, though, until my physical health is
a little better. I am in the process of a long diagnosis process of a
neurological problem that causes nerve damage and balance problems,
and until I get that under control, I don't think I could keep up with
the physical activity-intensive training. I can't wait until I do get
partnered, though. I took the Hadley School for the Blind's Guide Dog
101 class with Patti Jacobson, and absolutely loved the course. I know
several guide dog owners, also, and can't help but be envious of them.
I know that a guide dog would help me immensely, especially since I'm
starting college in the fall.

On a short side, I have started a blog called "Treasure Chest for the
Blind" at blindtreasurechest.blogspot.com, where I hope to make the
blog a true treasure chest of information for blind people. The latest
post is about the Blind Mice Mart's free downloadable DVS movies, of
which they have thousands. If you have any ideas for articles of
particular interest, please feel free to e-mail me with them. I'm
considering doing an article comparing and contrasting several of the
guide dog schools, but I think that'd have to be a long-term writing
project.

So, that's a little about me, and I look forward to learning more
about all of you!

~Jewel