[Blindtlk] Fwd: Extreme Makeover: Home Edition - Looking for Families Nationwide!

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 04:21:33 UTC 2010

Hey,

I have been wanting to nominate a friend of mine and his family for
Extreme Makeover, but wasn't sure where to get the nomination forms in
an accessible format. My friend, Wendell, and his family are in
extreme need of a new home, and I really want to nominate them. Their
story is a rather sad one, and their struggle is one I have been
wishing I could do something about for quite some time. They have a
son who has autisn and are basically living only on the Social
Security for their son. Wendell has been out of work as a carpenter
for over a year, and Cindy, his wife, has been out of work for longer,
mostly due to the need to take care of her son, who is 5 now and in a
half-day school program. Their house is in a horrible state. They
don't even have floors...the floor is the plywood with exposed nails
and such...no carpet, no tile, nothing. There is tile in the bathroom
and kitchen, but the water heater broke repetaedly, leaving mold under
the tile, so that is all but destroyed, and their home insurance has
been totally awful to them. There is so much more about their house I
could say, but it's too much to say in a short time. Wendell is a
veteran of the Army infantry who was medically retired because of his
knees, which buckle often and PTSD worse than I've ever seen a soldier
having. He has always helped people in need, and took me in when I was
homeless, even though the only place they had for me to sleep was the
beatup old sofa in the living room and they barely had enough food for
themselves, but stretched it to include me somehow.

To make things short, I would really, really like to nominate them for
an Extreme Makeover. They h ave a huge plot of land that is really
wasted on their tiny beatup house. The property really could use a
nice three or four bedroom house with real floors of carpet and a
fenced in yard so their husky/german shepherd mix, Gypsy, who is blind
from cataracts, can run in the yard with their five-year-old without
worry that either of them will run in the street (which is actually a
highway). Wendell and his family  have helped me a lot, both with
shelter and food when I was homeless and with advice when my ex and I
broke up. He is an amazing guy, and so is his family, but life has
given them so many hardships.

Please let me know how to nominate this family. I know there is a lot
of paperwork to fill out, but I haven't been able to find it in an
accessible format. The best thing would be in Word format so I could
type up responses and then print it out with my responses already on
it, as I cannot read or write print.

Thank you,
Jewel