[Blindtlk] ernestly seeking advice about sleep irregularities

Robert J Smith rsmith247 at csc.com
Mon May 24 20:11:32 UTC 2010

Hi all.  I am a person who is totally blind with prosthetic eyes.  You
will see why I mention this right at the beginning later in this message.
I am ernestly seeking advice from other totally blind persons who suffer,
or have suffered from sleep irregularities.  I take Melatonin which helps
the problem somewhat but it could be better.  Without Melatonin, I would
sleep for two maybe three hours per night, wake up, and stay awake the
rest of the night.  With Melatonin, I sleep about five hours a night but
still get sleepy sometimes during the day.  Any ideas as to how I can
improve my alertness during the entire day?  Cafinated coffee doesn't do
it.  I can sit and yawn and get drowsy while drinking it.  I take one
Melatonin tablet at night.  Should I possibly take two?  Should I take
something to keep me alert during the day instead of focusing on the
night?  I am open to all suggestions!  Of course I know that nobody can
prescribe anything on this list.  I have heard that blind persons who have
no light perception have been known to have sleep irregularity problems.
This seems to follow with me because when I was a kid I had light
perception.  I would sit in front of a lamp in my bedroom when doing my
homework first to be just like my sighted younger brother when he did his
homework, second because I liked actually seeing something since I had
both real eyes at that point.  When I was a kid, I did not have sleep and
alertness troubles.

Thanks much in advance,

Robert Smith

delivery.