[Blindtlk] chalking everything up to blindness

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Tue May 25 15:43:12 UTC 2010

Just as researchers have a knee-jerk reaction to attribute things to
blindness, so do we sometimes have that same reaction to say that blindness
has nothing to do with this or that condition. This is an understandable
reaction given how many times we've seen products developed which we don't
need and into which we had no say. Still, I think we have to be open to the
idea that blindness is not a condition which stands on its own and may well
interact with other bodily functions. Especially is this true when you
consider that there are many ways to go blind.

I think Pete is right when he says that we dare not ignore other known
conditions which lead to sleep problems such as sleep apnea. I had a sleep
study done about 10 years ago and when considering courses of treatment the
technician doing the study pulled me aside and said quote for most of the
people we see, you included, many of your symptoms would go away if you just
lost 40 pounds." That made me a bit uncomfortable, but I have found what she
said to be true. I still struggle, like everyone else, to keep my weight
under control, but I certainly do see a relationship in my case between
weight and the ability to sleep well at night. Sleep Apnea is not always
found in those who are overweight - my mother-in-law weighs 110 pounds and
has it - but in some cases we can do something positive to help reduce its
symptoms.

Gary