[Blindtlk] Common college degrees of employment for blind americans

Nimer Jaber nimerjaber1 at gmail.com
Sun May 30 06:03:10 UTC 2010

Peter,

I, like you, am blind, rely on braille, a screen reader, and other
blindness-related assistive devices. I share many of your same
interests (computers, political science, cooking and traveling), and I
just moved to Austin TX. Before this, I was living in Denver, CO. I
will tell you that one of the biggest considerations you'll want to
make is transportation and the size of blindness organizations that
can advocate on access issues such as the NFB or ACB. Most of the
cities on your list, to my knowledge, have a strong NFB presence and a
pretty good transportation system. In Denver, the bus system is pretty
good provided that you live in central Denver. The more you moved out
in to the subborbs, the less frequent busses ran. However, the down
side is that if you live in central Denver, the cost of living is
higher than if you lived in the subborbs. Denver's bus system is good,
and they also have a light rail system for fast access to the
different areas in Denver. As of last year though, night service isn't
as good, but that'll be a problem anywhere.

In Austin, TX, schools are very good, UT being one of them. They have
political science and computer-related majors. The university is very
good, and I plan to begin attending shortly. Transportation is very
good. Buses run often, and go all throughout Austin. A rail system is
being worked on, and so far one line is up and running. The other
thing I like about Austin is that many tech companies are located
here, and many are and will continue to be hiring. The unemployment
rate has, in large, stayed the same throughout TX unlike Minnesota and
Indiana where unemployment has gone up. Blindness-related services are
very good here in Austin as well. Both NFB and to some degree ACB have
a presence here, and state services for the blind are excellent.

Ultimately, it'll have to be up to you where you move. Most cities
have good educational programs and you'll be able to get along just
about anywhere you move to. Some things that may make it easier is
consideration of weather (in CO it snows quite a bit in winter),
services that are offered to blind by different organizations,
transportation, and the area in which you intend to seek employment.

Thanks, and hope this was helpful. Please don't hesitate to contact me
off list if you want to talk about this further. My email address is
nimerjaber1 at gmail.com or you can just reply to this email.

Nimer J