[Blindtlk] Grocery shopping, and transportation questions

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 10 21:46:08 UTC 2010

Dear firoz,

Here in the States, there is a Federal Law for Civil rights for the Disabled
called (ADA) the American's With Disabilities Act.
It coversEmployment, Physical Access to buildings, services and sets
standards for access. it also covers communication and transportation too.
Under the ADA, it mandates that anywhere you have a Fixed bus Route system,
that operates on designed routes and times, you must also provide a
complimentary Para-Transit service that mirrors that bus service, for
disabled people who, because of disability or barriers in the environment,
that prevent them from accessing and using the fixed route bus system.
In other words, they provide a van service that will pick the disabled up an
transport them where they need to go and bring them back.
You have to apply for this kind of service and it totally depends upon your
ability to access and use the fixed route bus system or not.
The vans run the same hours of service as the fixed route bus and are not
required to travel more than 3/4 TH of a mile off the fixed bus route to
pick people up or drop them off.  There are some areas where special zones
are set up that serve an entire area, regardless of the 3/4 TH mile rule,
such as here in Palm Beach County Florida, but most places do not do this.
Some areas operate 5 AM to 6 PM and some other places have service that runs
around the clock, day and night.
You just have to educate yourself and ask questions.
As for other people who have come here from other countries and made it, the
Country is full of them.  Every one here has their origins somewhere else.
I do know people, but I can not send their names or e-mail addresses without
their permission.
Where are you from anyway.  That might be helpful to know?  What is it that
you want to do or be?

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.