[Blindtlk] Signing Your Name.

Jennifer Piening pienings at comcast.net
Fri Apr 15 18:14:56 UTC 2011

Hi! I think that it is a good idea for a blind person  to sign his/her
own name, and that's all fine and good. However, a person's signature is
just that, a way of identifying him or herself. It doesn't need to be
legible, and I get annoyed when people ask if a bank will accept my
signature just because it isn't very legible. I can't tell you how many
times I've heard sighted people comment on another sighted person's
signature, and told me that it was totally and completely illegible.
These people sign legal documents all of the time. For example, many
doctors have illegible signatures. I used to spend a bunch of time
worrying about whether or not my signature was legible.  However, people
would get impatient with me, because it would take me forever in a day
to sign a document. So now I just try to sign correctly, and reason that
if a doctor or a CEO of a large company can get away with having a not
so pretty signature, then why can't I?! Sometimes people like to make a
big deal about the illegibility of a blind person's signature, because
they are blind. Otherwise, why would so many sighted doctors and other
people in power sign legal documents illegibly and adopt that signature
as their own?
      We all have things we're ashamed of  and insecure about and to
doubt somebody's competence as an independent blind person just because
he or she feels it's his her own right to sign a document illegibly
seems a bit harsh and judgmental to me. If you're going to judge
people's competence based on this criteria, you might want to have
somebody evaluate your doctor's signature. LOL
Jenny
--
Facebook:

hannapaws at gmail.com