[Blindtlk] If the World Went Sighted..

Rex Leslie Howard, Jr. rex.howard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 19:34:30 UTC 2011

Hi, I'm new to the list.
This is an interesting question for sure.

I'm reminded of that movie starring Val Kilmer in which he played a blind
guy who regains his sight and has to learn to adapt to visual images, then
he loses his sight again.

I was born blind and I believe it would be almost impossible for me to cope
if I gained the ability to see with my eyes.

I have never regretted being blind. Oh sure, sometimes blindness is an
inconvenience or annoyance but all obstacles are surmountable I believe.

I am always amazed by church people who think it would be such a great
miracle and testimony if I were suddenly able to see.

I used to get offended at that thinking but the Lutheran sponsored Christian
Blind Institute helped me understand what motivates people to think that way
and how to deal with and cope with those responses and attitudes.

I believe that I see people for who they are. Sure I can be wrong and have
been wrong before but I do not gain impressions of people by how they dress,
what kinds of cars they drive or other material things.

I care very much about the inner being of people. I know there are blind and
sighted people alike who share my sentiments but I think if I could see and
relied on sight, my impressions of people and things would be based on
another set of criteria.

Ancora Imparo
Rex Leslie Howard, Jr.
rex.howard at gmail.com