[Blindtlk] Eye Polking.

nikki Wunderlich nikki0222 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 13:45:12 UTC 2011

Very well said!! I agree with you!

-----Original Message-----
From: blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of humberto
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:47 PM
To: Blind Talk Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Blindtlk] Eye Polking.

I would wish that the blind driver challenge car that was debuted
at the Daytona International speedway would be readily available
and that legislations have passed so that we are able to drive a
car without having to become sighted and learn to be sighted. I
wish that this could happen really soon, and that blind people
will be able to drive a car everywhere possible, and get to work,
shop, and just have the freedom of driving! I believe that we
don't have to become sighted if we want to drive; just watch how
technology is growing in an area that it is growing now. So, I
think one day, this Blind Driver challenge car would be on sail
and so we can purchase it just like a sighted person would buy a
car, and drive! not only that, but test drive the car before
purchasing it so we have an idea of what it's like to drive the
vehicle with innovative interfaces and technologies that can
bridge the information gap, and make us make driving decisions,
just like sighted people make driving decisions.
Well, this is what I had to say.

is
>your Paratransit system going to get you there on time? How about
>cab driver, and what if you can't afford that?) And if you live
in a
>rural area, forget all that entirely. It really is an
inconvenience,
>the only real disadvantage we face as blind people. Sighted
people say
>"yeah, but at least you don't have to deal with traffic, the
>possibility of getting in an accident, or gas prices
skyrocketing" to
>which I say, "try being unable to get to an important job
interview,
>and not just one, because that could happen if your car breaks
down,
>but watch many opurtunities pass you by." The car is a powerful
thing,
>and unless you live within walking distance of stores, your job
and
>your house or apartment, it does present a huge challenge.

>On 4/28/11, Sherri <flmom2006 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Basically, I agree with Mary. The most difficult part of being
blind is
>> transportation and getting from point A to B in an efficient and
>> cost-effective manner. If I could see, I would want it just for
the reason
>> to drive. We need to hurry up with the car that blind people can
drive. Then
>> we need to get the legislation through so we can drive it. Not
in my
>> lifetime, I'm afraid!

>> Sherri

>> Please check out the link below and help blind people in your
local area
>> achieve their dreams by visiting
>> http://www.raceforindependence.org/goto/Sherri.Brun
>> Thank you.

>> Character is the side of yourself you choose to show the world.
Integrity is
>> what you do, what you say and how you act when you think no one
is paying
>> attention.
>> Sherri Brun
>> flmom2006 at gmail.com

blindisms.  I'll
>>> hold to my opinion that they're behaviors that should be kept to
the
>>> privacy
>>> of our own homes.  I perhaps should explain why.  And, by the
way, there
>>> are
>>> behaviors that are acceptable among close friends that are OK
and
>>> blindisms
>>> may be in that category.

>>>            From my experiences, we're already considered objects
of fear,
>>> strange, weird, incompetent, etc. by the sighted world, or at
least by a
>>> good deal of it.  Therefore, we must do whatever it takes to
dispel those
>>> misconceptions.  It may not be just or right, but the world is
sighted and
>>> the behaviors that constitute fidgeting in sighted people are
accepted
>>> whereas blindisms are not acceptable.  The very fact they're
called
>>> "blindisms" is a stereotype and it may be somewhat of an
accurate one
>>> because I've never seen a sighted person poke their eye or spin
around.
>>> Sighted people click pens, tap feet, twirl bits of hair, pace
back and
>>> forth, pick fingers, cross and uncross their legs, and any
number of other
>>> things.  The fidgets are unlimited and, believe me, I've seen a
lot of
>>> them!

>>>            Sighted people closely scrutinize us because they
expect less
>>> from us than they do from other sighted people.  Since we expect
equality,
>>> we must accept equal responsibility and part of that
responsibility is
>>> behaving is a socially acceptable manner when in public.

>>>            I've actually had people tell me they've forgotten I
can't see
>>> much because I "don't act like a blind person".  When I've asked
what's a
>>> blind person supposed to act like, they say things like, oh, you
know, you
>>> can't find your way around, you have those weird habits like
poling your
>>> eyes.  I've also had people say I'm not really blind because I
"act too
>>> cool" to be blind.  The misconceptions are still out there, like
it or
>>> not.
>>> And, we want to emphasize our similarities to the rest of the
world rather
>>> than our differences.  Therefore, we must promote a positive
image.

>>>            I may as well through this into the mix:  If I had a
sure-fire
>>> chance to have normal vision, I'd take it in a New York minute
because I'd
>>> like the freedom of driving!  Yes, I can function, work, and pay
taxes,
>>> but
>>> I know I'd have a higher quality of life if I could drive.  So,
I'd have
>>> the
>>> procedure, then head straight to IDOT and take drivers' ed!  But
I repeat:
>>> It would have to be sure-fire cure or I'd opt to stay the way I
am.

>>> Sincerely,

>>> Mary L. McGee

>>> NOTICE:  This E-mail (including attachments) is covered by the
Electronic
>>> Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Sections 2510-2521, is
confidential
>>> and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you
>>> are hereby notified that any tetention, dissemination,
distribution, or
>>> copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Please
reply to the
>>> sender that you have received the message in error, then delete.
Thank
>>> you.

info for
>>> blindtlk: