[Blindtlk] To Drive or not to Drive: that is the question

Mari Hunziker marihunziker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 21:28:13 UTC 2011

Hello,

I have been legally blind my entire life. As a teenager and as a young adult
driving really wasn't that big of a deal to me, mostly because I lived in a
town that provided great public transportation service. And when I needed to
go places I seemed to have the gumption to get there on my own or with
friends. Now as a mom, I would love the opportunity to be able to drive. I
would love to be able to have the independence to get in my own care and go
where I needed when I needed. It is difficult to have to ask for rides to
the grocery store, the mall, the park, etc. I do have a very full life and
seem to always have a special guardian angel that is more than willing to
take me and my kids to where we need to go. For example, My daughter is 3
years old. We found a great friend in her dance class that was so eager and
happy to take us to and from dance class. It was nice. However, I would love
to drive. I think it is a very empowering feeling that provides total
independence.  But whether I drive or not I do feel fulfilled as an
individual. My life is full and would just be busy with driving my kids and
their friends to and from places, like the typical soccer mom. I think that
would be great.
Mari Hunziker