[Blindtlk] Blindness Misperceptions from kids

Kelby Carlson kelbycarlson at usfamily.net
Sat Apr 30 16:59:17 UTC 2011

sorry if this reply comes a bit late, Chris.  I had a similar
experience at a camp in Baltimore, Md, but I was more around your
age at the time.  I had O and M training, but I usually used
sighted guides in unfamiliar places.  This time I was expected to
maneuver through an airport with no sighted guide--I did it, but
it was kind of scary at the time.  At the same time, though,
getting to do things like grill and have a fire and do scientific
projects at that young age independently was rewarding.  It's
harder to do some of those things now, simply because I don't
have the practice and/or adaptations.  I think it will get easier
once I'm out on my own and not relying on my parents as much.
(The same is true, I think, of most teenagers my age whether
blind or sighted.)