[Blindtlk] Fwd: Some good ideas

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 01:09:09 UTC 2011

Let me just say that this sounds like a Snopes "Mixture of true and
false information" email.

All of the below could happen, and possibly some combination of it
has happened to people.  But the individual account is probably
false.

Don’t leave unsecured personal identifying information around for
people to take (this includes GPS systems with nav points programmed
in), and definitely don’t leave keys (electronic or otherwise) laying
about.  Besides a GPS, there are many things both high-tech and low
that could lead a thief back to your home.  And a blind person might
not notice something they’ve neglected to secure or dispose of
properly contains personally identifying information.  A dropped
envelope, a discarded piece of paper, etc.  Caution and vigilance are
the keys to prevention in this case.

And certainly, never trust something as impersonal as a text message
as coming from who you think it does if it’s asking for financial
data especially.  And don’t log into any websites from emails telling
you that you need to do so and giving you the link.

Treat it as a cautionary tale with merit, if perhaps not entirely
true in every detail.

Joseph - kf7qzc