[Blindtlk] Soldering revisited

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 08:04:35 UTC 2011

Done by Forrest M. Mims III, I’ve had them all at various points in
my life!  He was well-loved, in the age before the Internet.  They
don’t scan well unfortunately as they’re all hand-written, and
schematics really almost need to be redone as tactile graphics if you
can’t see them—verbal descriptions are just lacking in general.

Resistors and capacitors can be measured.  As long as you keep them
sorted by power rating (which is not indicated by color code on a
resistor anyway), an ohmmeter will tell you more about a resistor
than its color code.  Faster too, if you’re blind.  Capacitors are a
little harder, since many meters don’t have a good range for
measuring them.  And of course you need to keep track of them by
voltage.

You’ve pretty much got to label ICs, and your continuity tester can
help you put a diode in the right direction.

It’s all doable, if it’s worth it to you to figure out how.

Joseph - kf7qzc