[Blindtlk] jobs that don't require a college degree

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 18:15:23 UTC 2011

I don't have a college degree, and I've worked pretty consistently for the
past 20 years at different jobs.  I did switchboard and other things for
Nordstrom.  then I worked at a blindness agency, where I did customer
service, then taught computers, then worked as an assistant in the
development department.  I loved the teaching job, but the state rehab
agency pulled funding for the program, and wanted only people with degrees
to teach if they kept the funding.  I've also been a receptionist at a
company, worked in customer service for verizon wireless, worked in
admissions at Guide dogs for the blind and now do tech support for an
adaptive tech company.  Most of these jobs didn't require degrees but would
with other companies, or the pay isn't near what it would be if I had the
degree.  I did try taking night classes, but I found that working full time
and taking classes was too physically exhausting for me, due to my other
disabilities.  I encourage you to get a degree if you can.  more and more
jobs are requiring it, and it does make a difference in the salary you can
earn.  But if you can't try jobs like receptionist, customer service, phone
work, things like that.  good luck.  the important thing is to know how to
sell yourself in a job interview, if you don't have a degree, so your
experience and skills make up for that.

Sherry