[Blindtlk] How do you use crutches?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Aug 31 00:08:25 UTC 2011

Hey Chasity!

I just had foot surgery two weeks ago and I'm also in a cast.  I can put
absolutely no weight on the foot though.  Here's what I've figured out
about mobility options over the past 5 weeks since I initially broke my
foot.

I was given crutches at the emergency room.  I was also given two
minutes of instruction on how to use them.  You don't actually put any
weight on your armpits.  Instead the crutches should rest against your
side, just below your armpit.  All your weight should be on the hand
grips when your moving.  The top part resting against your side is more
for balance and stability than weight bearing.  The way I was shown to
use the crutches is to keep them wider than your body, moving both
crutches out ahead of you, then sort of swing your body forward and land
on the good foot.  Once you get going the momentum of the movement will
help a lot in keeping you going.  Crutches are a workout!

That's what I was shown, what I have figured out is that if I move one
crutch ahead at a time and sort of swing it in a mini arc, like I would
with a white cane, that it helps a lot in making sure that I'm placing
the crutch exactly where I want it.  This is especially important when
moving through doorways.    I know of no way to use a white cane and
crutches together.  When I leave the house with the crutches I have a
sighted person providing me with verbal directions as well as physically
helping me with balance when I need to go down a curb.  In that case I
use one crutch and hold on to the shoulder of the person helping me.

the day after my surgery I had one session with the nice folks from the
physical therapy department.  Because of my blindness and the
complicating factor of the pain medication just about eliminating my
sense of balance, they suggested a walker or this other scooter
thing-a-mo-bob.  I went with the walker.  It requires much less skill in
the balance department!  You can use a cane with the walker, although I
do not.  If you did, you'd have to check out the space ahead, let go of
the cane, move ahead and repeat the procedure.  If you do use a
cane+walker you'll need to attach the cane to the walker somehow Maybe a
bungee cord?  I don't know.  I find that I get enough directional
information from the walker itself.  For example if I'm trying to go
through a doorway but I'm not lined up exactly, the walker simply  isn't
going to roll forward.  I haven't left the house with the walker, so
can't say how that'd work.

What I have found the absolute best thing to move about with is my desk
chair.  It is a typical office chair with arm rests and wheels that fan
out from a center pedestal.   I turn the chair so I am facing it.  I put
my knee with the broken foot on the front of the seat.  I put my hands
on the arm rests and push myself with my good foot.  It works great!
It's also the only way to move or carry things from room to room that
I've found.  Of course the desk chair option isn't very practical
outside of the house.

I also have a wheelchair that I borrowed.  According to an O&M
professional who is also a good friend, it is possible to use a white
cane from a wheelchair.  I haven't been able to successfully manage this
though.  I think part of the problem is the wheelchair I am using, which
isn't the most um mm elaborate model.  It doesn't roll in a straight
line very well, which makes it very difficult for me to keep myself
going straight.  I use the wheelchair when I go out of the house, but I
have a sighted person push me.

I hope you heal quickly!  Best of luck!
Julie