[Blindtlk] Fw: [Nfbf-l] Erik Weihenmeyer on ExpeditionImpossible

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 31 19:06:38 UTC 2011

Points well taken. I throw this out for consideration. I think of the NFB
much like a canoe on a lake. With enough people paddling, we get somewhere
and there is room for a passenger or two--maybe people who can't pick up an
ore but need a ride just the same. I don't want to run people off, but I
don't want them to regard us as some state or federally funded outfit that
is owed nothing because they've already paid through their taxes. Mostly we
get things done through volunteer effort, and so we must at least let people
know about the source from whence they take and try to convince them that
borrowing would be a better path. This goes well beyond Erik. In my state we
used to work so hard to separate the help we gave from an appeal to join or
contribute that it almost never happened. There are still people we help who
can't give us the time of day, but at least we make it clear that it is
people who give their volunteer time that has helped them get back their
child or start their business.

Gary