[Blindtlk] Asking Questions While En Rouse

Kelby Carlson kelbycarlson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 18:29:19 UTC 2011

I was reading the most recent Braille Monitor and came to the
article "Have Cane, Can Travel" by Jennifer Dunnam.  I found the
article to be quite excellent, but there was something I was
wondering about.  I haven't had official NFB mobility training,
though the training I have had is quite good.  What I would like
to abbm is this.  I am a very verbal person and certainly not
afraid to ask for help or ask for directions when and if I need
them.  But I often run into the problem of my questions eliciting
very non-specific anserers, and I think that's because my
questions aren't specific enough either.  Can any of you offer
tips on how to frame questions in the best way possible so as to
elicit only the information I need?

Also, I found the idea of using a print map or Google Earth in
conjuction with a human reader to be a very interesting one, and
may try it.  (I've not had a ton of luck with transcribed maps;
but having things described to me by someone might very well work
better.) Thoughts?

Kelby S.  Carlson

Vanderbilt University