[Blindtlk] Asking Questions While En Rouse

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Tue Dec 6 20:33:42 UTC 2011

Asking questions is an art, not a science. Depending upon who I am asking, and what I am doing, I'll ask in different ways. If I'm facing the person I'm asking, say across a desk, or something, I may point. I'll ask an affirmative question such as
"Are the elevators to my right (point to my right) or left (point to my left(" Sometimes I dig distance information, which is almost always unreliable. If I am looking for a street I'll ask if this is a specific street and point at the street I am asking about. If I need a cross street I'll ask if court street, for example, is to my left (point) or right.

Rather than ask someone if this is number 4732 on a building, I will ask them what the number on the building is.

The answers you will get from others have a lot of build-in variables. What you ask, what they know, how they answer, and how you interpret their response. Sometimes travel is a succession of questions to different people. It never hurts to double check information as you go down the block.

Like questions, travel is also an art, there are no hard and fast rules. The more you do, the better you will probably get. Remember, what we now call NFB Training was invented by people just like you and me.