[Blindtlk] Letter to the Editor: Dining inthe Dark events re:[blindtlk] fw: MIRA Foundation

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Dec 17 00:46:26 UTC 2011

I was intrigued when I first joined the Federation over the paradox that
could be read into the provisions of the several White Cane Laws.

On the one hand, I thiknk Dr. tenBroek wanted to ensure that whether a blind
person carried a cane, used a guide dog or did neither, the same protections
would be available to him or her.

On the other hand, I dare say there are few adherents of NFB philosophy that
would maintain that, no matter what, a blind person was entitled to the
benefit of the doubt or did not have a duty to exercise the same due
diligence in attempting to obey traffic laws to the same extent as would be
expected of sighted pedestrians.

The crux of this possible dichotomy or dilemma comes into play when a blind
person crosses at a location other than a designated crosswalk.

I am not a lawyer so perhaps some of our Legal Eagles can assist me here but
I'm not sure there ever has been a definitive ruling on this question (how
the duty to exercise due diligence intersects with the traffic rights
guaranteed by the White Cane Laws).

Mike Freeman