[Blindtlk] NFB Blood Drive

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Dec 18 04:36:11 UTC 2011

Peter:

This is going a bit afield so I'll let it ride after this post.

But I seem to be one of the few NFB individuals who finds the trend toward
advocating that the NFB engage in "community service" events not having to
do with blindness disturbing at best and downright contrary to NFB
philosophy at worst. Mind you, I'm not against community service events.
However, I take NFB philosophy to imply that we, the blind, have the right,
nay the duty, to integrate ourselves into society and we should therefore
participate in community service events by joining organizations whose
purposes include conducting such events. IMO NFB should confine itself
*strictly* to blindness-related happenings and activities. Straying from
this principle IMO opens us up to the charge that we're endorsing particular
causes -- which we are not unless they're blindness-related and have become
policy of this organization through resolutions or NFB Board or convention
directives.

Mike