[Blindtlk] National Federation of the Blind Secures Court Ruling Against Cardtronics

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 00:17:26 UTC 2011

A press release from the national office:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Secures
 Court Ruling Against Cardtronics

Company Must Make ATMs Accessible or Face Sanctions

Baltimore, Maryland (December 19, 2011): A federal court has
found that
Cardtronics, Inc., has failed to comply with the terms of a
settlement
and subsequent remediation plan reached with the National
Federation of
the Blind (NFB) and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to make all
of the
automated teller machines owned by Cardtronics accessible to the
blind.
In an order dated December 15, 2011, the Honorable Nathaniel M.
Gorton
of the United States District Court for the District of
Massachusetts
found that Cardtronics had not complied with the terms of the
settlement
agreement or remediation plan and that civil contempt was
therefore
appropriate.  Judge Gorton ordered Cardtronics to comply with the
remaining terms by March 15, 2012, or face monetary sanctions of
$50 per
month for each ATM that remained inaccessible to blind
users-giving the
company the "Shakespearean warning" to "beware the ides of
March."

"Instead of admitting their non-compliance and promising better
effort,
defendants disingenuously claim they have complied in spite of a
plethora of evidence to the contrary," Judge Gorton wrote in his
memorandum opinion.  "The deadlines they have consistently missed
were,
ironically, the ones they proposed in the first place."

Dr.  Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the
Blind,
said: "It is critical that blind Americans have access to all of
the
technologies that are now a part of everyday life in the
twenty-first
century if we are to achieve full and equal integration into
society,
and this includes the technology necessary to handle our
finances.
Toward that end, we reached an agreement with Cardtronics to make
its
ATMs accessible, and when problems arose and initial deadlines
were
missed, we worked in good faith with the company to come up with
workable remediation plan.  Sadly, however, Cardtronics has not
complied
with the agreed terms of the remediation plan.  We are therefore
pleased
with the court's decision requiring Cardtronics to meet its legal
obligations."

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the
Blind is
the largest and most influential membership organization of blind
people
in the United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives
through
advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs
encouraging
independence and self-confidence.  It is the leading force in the
blindness field today and the voice of the nation's blind.  In
January
2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan
Institute, the first research and training center in the United
States
for the blind led by the blind.  Please visit our Web site:
www.nfb.org
<http://www.nfb.org/> .

 Unsubscribe
<http://www.nfb.org/NU.asp?ID=111&EM=dotkid.nusbaum@gmail.com> .